Friday, April 21, 2006

Round Robin Story Challenge

I've had this idea floating in my head for a while and I decided to experiment here and see how it worked. My idea works kind of like the blog version of a chain letter, with a creative twist.
I'm sure my readers (all three of you) have heard of the concept of a "round robin" story; that being where someone begins a story, tells it to a point, and then someone else picks the story up, telling it to another point, and passing it on.

So who's up?

Here are the rules:

1. I'm going to provide the opening of a story and then "tag off" to someone I know with a blog. That person will (hopefully) be willing to run with the idea, write a bit, and then tag off to someone she knows, who will hopefully tag off to someone she knows, etc. Hopefully, through the "she knows three people who knows three people, etc" idea, we can make this idea reach well beyond the boundaries of the few blogs we know, allowing us to meet new people and, hopefully in the process, write a decent story.

2. In order to keep things organized, everyone who participates in this challenge should title the blog post "Round Robin Story Challenge", that way it's easy for people to find if they try to browse through the stories. At the top of your post, before the story, please link back to this blog (so people stumbling across the middle portion of the tale can go back from the beginning) and at the end of your story, post a link to the person who you are "tagging" off to, so people can find the next installment.

3. It's probably a good idea to ask the person you plan to tag to if they want to participate in writing the story (although I didn't. My tag partner is completely unawares) or at least try to pick someone you know is a good sport. If you do tag off to someone who doesn't wish to participate, either tag to someone else or, even better, ask them if they will make one post with the title and link back to here, and then tag off to someone else. Any way we can expand the scope is a good expansion.

4. I'm just going to write the opening sentence because I'm lazy (and because I'm anticipating getting tagged back at some point) but I'm hoping you guys will write at least several paragraphs per session. Feel free to write as long as you want.

Have fun and let's see how far we can take this...

The Dancing Bear
The bear came to me again last night in my dreams, dancing in a ray of moonlight outside my bedroom window. I felt no fear in seeing him there. I knew he would not harm me. But I also knew, somewhere deeper, that to go to him would be my death...

There you go. The first bit of our journey. Kate, my biggest (read only) fan, I'm tagging off to you. Have fun!

Kate's Blog

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Challenge accepted. I'm working on it. But more than anything, I am worried about your subconscious mind. Bears dancing in the moonlight, ready to pounce and kill... is there any Russian in your background? Tell Joan I am waiting to scrapbook with her, please.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Gryphon said...

No Russian as far as I know. Besides, not "pounce and kill." That's the conundrum. The narrator instinctively feels the bear won't harm (i.e. eat) him, but he also knows that somehow he symbolizes his death.

I was almost reluctant to let that opening go for this. It's been in my head since I had the dream before I met Kelly even (has it really been 14 years?). But it's been in my head that long and I haven't come up with a clue on how to move it from there.

Joan checks this blog more than I do so you've already told her...

5:48 PM  
Blogger TheAlabamaRambler said...

Love reading about your adventures! As a 300+ fat one-legged old fart I have experienced many of the same.

I hope to meet you folks at the Huntsville event.

Ed
TheAlabamaRambler

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home