Monday, January 09, 2006

Random Thoughts

Ah, random thoughts. The haven of the blogger with nothing else to say...

Got my mp3 player in this weekend. Unlike the fancier (and more expensive) ipod type players, this one has no hard drive of its own. Instead it has a place for a USB flash drive to plug in. It also has an FM transmitter to play over your car stereo. It's almost like being in radio again. No more sitting through the mind-numbingly generic crap the local Clear-Channel owned classic rock station plays. No more selling my soul to listen to the dj-less local JACK station, thereby putting my brethren out of work. No more classical music on NPR once the news ends. Now it's an endless stream of Led Zeppelin, John Prine, Todd Snider, Dr. Hook, and Muddy Waters. Now if I can just get my car working correctly so I have somewhere to listen to it...

Am I the only one annoyed by the television networks these days? It's not the vapid programming that upsets me but that fact that every network seems to have adopted the "little flying graphic in the corner of the screen" technique. Not the little semi-transparent logo. That annoys me but I'm used to it and at least I can see through it. The worst offender is, unfortunately, also the network I watch most, Food TV. While I'm trying to watch my daily dose of Iron Chef, food network seems to feel it is necessary to constantly bombard me with moving non-transparent graphics advertising whatever the show of the month they're promoting is. Normally this is just an annoyance but Iron Chef, being a japanese program, is partially subtitled. Stupid little graphic = can't read the subtitles. Very annoying.

I'm looking forward to the Colts-Steelers matchup on Sunday and hope my Colts don't follow their usual pattern of choking when it's on the line.

A recent editorial in the Nashville City Paper lamented the fact that technology is so prevelant now that no one has time to "stop and smell the roses" anymore. I'd have an opinion on that subject, but I'm busy blogging...

I finally, at my wife and a couple of friends' nagging, finished the Harry Potter books. Not bad. I'm not sure it's worth the cult-like fervor that has arisen over it, but it's definitely not bad. Anything that gets kids to read 900 page books is ok with me.

After year spent mostly going "eh" at the movies coming out (did we really need a remake of Bewitched?), Hollywood has come on strong at the end of the year. Too strong. Where were all these movies when I had money to see movies during the summer? King Kong is everything it was hyped to be. Narnia was a mostly-faithful rendition of the books (not as good as the Rings movies but then Narnia was never Rings), Walk the Line was simply amazing, Harry Potter once again topped itself in quality. I don't know if they'll manage to end the series before the kids turn 40, but so far so good. All in all a good winter to follow a clunky summer with a few gems (Star Wars, Corpse Bride). I look forward to my annual (although, sadly probably cross-coastal) Oscar handicapping with Darth Kel. Just for the record, Kel, my early pick is Brokeback Mountain to win everything in what will be more a salvo at the Bushies than any measure of the film's quality.

Christmas is finally over and I am very happy. That said, TAKE DOWN YOUR FRACKIN' LIGHTS! This means you. Now. Right now. Leave the blog and go do it. Now.

-Gryph
"A clown puts his makeup on upside down
so he wears a smile even when he wears a frown"
-John Prine
NP: Anthrax "Be All, End All"

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I love it when you talk techno to me. I don't understand it, but I love it.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Random replies:

I've been putting off my own rant on the JACK phenom -- while loading my new iPod with oddly similar songs.

BRAVO is also horrible about disrupting the show you're trying to watch with ads for the one they want you to watch.

A few friends of mine were in Walk the Line. Speaking parts. That was an odd theatrical experience for me.

I have a frackin' suspicion that you watch Battlestar Galactica.

And... backing up a post... I sympathize with J's undiagnosed issues and hope she gets an answer soon.

Finally... I note I haven't heard from you since the fleeting meeting at the Darkhorse. Hey, I told you the show was crap. You were warned. I owe you a trip to the Saucer for the money you put down in a group sale.

Limited time offer.

Speaking of... feel like moing a couch this weekend? ;)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Gryphon said...

No Battlestar Galactica for me. Sorry. Are you talking the annoying original with Lorne Greene (which I've seen just long enough to avoid) or the new one that I've avoided altogether from the beginning.

We actually liked the play. Was it the best thing I've seen you in? No. Was it better than I could have done? Universally, yes. I'm easy to please.

Moing a couch? If that's anything like moving a couch, I can provide moral support and coaching but, until the foot heals, not much else I'm afraid. I don't even have a truck to offer anymore.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Oops... forgot about the foot there. Have a happy recovery!

And yes, smartass, "moing" was supposed to be "moving"....

Also... hey!... I'm belatedly offended to hear that "random thoughts" are the haven of bloggers with nothing to say. Hmmm... who started and has written the most of them?

Harumph.

;)

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home