Saturday, April 15, 2006

Random Thoughts: Electric Boogalou

What do you do when you have been ordered to blog but have nothing to say? Random Thoughts comin' atcha.

Saw Todd Snider in concert last night in Huntsville. This is the fifth time I've seen Snider live since discovering him at Nashville River stages several years ago. Great, great live act. If you're reading this blog, your mission is to go find some Todd Snider and listen. If you like folk/alt-country at all, you'll love him. Think John Prine with a more cynical sense of humour. He closed last night's show with a cover of "Mr. Bojangles", written by his admitted hero Jerry Jeff Walker. I LOVE the original version of this song and I love Jerry Jeff Walker but Snider's voice matches the song so perfectly that I think he actually surpassed the original. He's got a world-weary tone to his voice that comes from far too many trips to rehab and far too many miles traveled. It fits the song well and makes an already melancholy song even more so. Go listen. Now. Trust me.

Staying with the music theme but switching genres, Queensryche has finally released their new album, a sequel to their landmark 1989 album Operation Mindcrime, which graces my cd player often to this day. Of course, in keeping with Griffy luck, it comes out at the same time as the afore mentioned Todd Snider show, forcing me to make a financially based decision. It's like choosing between your children. Snider won out, but hopefully I'll be able to pick the 'Ryche album up soon. Being broke sucks.

Yes, I know jumping from folk/country to heavy metal is a pretty big leap. As my wife will attest, my music collection suffers from a severe case of multiple personality disorder. Putting the whole thing on random is likely to bring up Johnny Cash followed by Celtic Frost followed by B.B. King followed by something from one of my Monty Python albums followed by L.L. Cool J. Hazards of being a radio guy I suppose. My tastes go all over the map.

I've never really been known as a fashion maven. My wife has to match my clothes for me (although that's easy since, given my druthers, my entire clothing collection is black or grey. I look like a chubby Johnny Cash some days...). Anyway, I'm hoping one of you more fashion-conscious left-coasters can help me with this one. What's the deal with the day-glo plastic shoes with all the little holes in them? I see them everywhere lately so I'm assuming this is the new fashion. What is their purpose? They look as if they would glow in the dark so they might be good for jogging at night. What function do the holes serve? Or is it just fashion to have shoes with holes in them now? I hope so because I have two or three pairs of shoes with holes in them sitting in my closet. They're my fishing shoes but if they're fashionable, I might put them up on Ebay. Do you think smelling like Duck River mixed with my feet will lower their resale?

Andy Warhol just called me. He says reality television's 15 minutes were up a while back. Am I the only person who doesn't watch this tripe? Apparently I am. People at work look at me as if I have leprosy when they are discussing the latest elimination on American Idol and I can only stare blankly at them, having never heard of any of the contestants and only vaguely knowing that Simon's the mean judge and Paula Abdul isn't nearly as hot as she was when I lusted after her in the 80's. I just don't get it. And don't even get me started on Fear Factor, my sister-in-law's favorite show apparently. And I don't know why it's her favorite show. It's about people climbing to dangerous heights and eating seemingly inedible foods. Having a 4 and 3 year old, I'd think she'd see enough of both of those things to satisfy her. I was at their house once when the little one ate a bar of soap. Not put it in his mouth, mind you. Bit, chewed, swallowed, and went back for more. How many people on Fear Factor could do that? I guess I just don't get the appeal of the whole reality thing. I don't even like living in my own reality. Why the hell would I want to live in someone else's?

Did I mention that Todd Snider was really cool last night? Have you checked him out yet? No? Go do that now. I'll wait.... .... .... ... Got it? Good stuff, eh? You can thank me later. I accept cash or Paypal.

I don't have anything else interesting to write about (not that I had anything interesting to write about before) so I'll sign off now. Be well.

-Gryph

"It's hard to kick the door down, when you ain't wearing no shoes..."
-Todd Snider

NP: Queensryche "Suite Sister Mary"

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Those weird shoes are called crocs, and they used to be worn by gardeners. I had a pair years ago, and gardeners like them because they can be hosed off at the end of a dirty day. The holes are there because plastice does not breathe. They are incredidly comfortable, which may be why they are a craze right now... or else it is fashionable to look like a gardener.
The only reality TV shows I have watched are "Runway" and "Top Chef". I am over Runway but at least it was about producing something, and some of the clothing produced was magnificent. Top Chef is about producing something, too, but since I can't taste the food to see if it is any good, it's not quite as satifying as Runway. Both, however, have shown me that if you have seen one reality show, you have seen them all.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Gryphon said...

Yeah, we've watched Top Chef some. It's ok as reality TV goes, but then I like cooking shows. I still prefer Iron Chef, which the bastiches at Food TV have now removed from its customary 10pm weekday slot to a once-a-week at 3 am slot. Good thing I have a Tivo...

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For adults the important thing about Crocs isn't gardening it's that they are very comfortable, especially on concrete/hard floors hence seeing them on Chef's like Mario and all over hospitals. They can be had with or without holes and flip flops are also available. Avoid the $10 knock offs and get the $40 Crocs since they are made of a differnt material and will hold up much longer. For the kids they are cheaper than most sneakers and do clean up easily. They do come in brown, black, and dark blue as well as the day glo colors and recently some nifty metalics. Croc-on!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home